Medical marijuana can make life bearable for those undergoing chemotherapies or suffering from chronic pain. But the recreational use of marijuana can lead to addiction. While the risk of addiction in other substances, such as heroin and cocaine is much greater, a percentage of marijuana users suffer dependence and addictive symptoms. Dependence is defined as needing more and more marijuana to receive the same benefits, something that occurs more frequently as the THC levels in marijuana continue to get stronger. The need for more, and the focus on getting it, can disrupt your daily life.
Marijuana addiction treatment at the best drug rehab overseas focuses on the behavioral consequences of persistent long-term use. Marijuana can be smoked, mixed in edibles, brewed as a tea or inhaled with a vaporizer. The desired high relieves social anxiety by relaxing and calming its users.
Symptoms of Marijuana Addiction
Heavy use of marijuana may negatively influence cognitive abilities, career ambitions and achievements, social lives, and physical and mental health. Some studies suggest that intellectual impairment can last for days after ingesting the drug. Although not as deadly or debilitating as other addictions — like to opiates or alcohol — marijuana dependency is tough to overcome. And daily use of marijuana affects the mind and body in multiple ways, including:
- Increased appetite
- Mood enhancement
- Increased heart rate
- Increased anxiety and paranoia over time
- Impaired attention, judgement and other cognitive functions
- Impaired short-term memory
- An ongoing cough and lung problems, such as chest colds and pneumonia
- Bouts of dizziness
- Shallow breathing
- Distorted sense of time
- Lack of motivation
- Red eyes and dilated pupils
- Dry mouth
- Slowed reaction times and impaired coordination
- Lower testosterone levels in men, subsequently lowering libido and fertility
- Sleep problems
For most people, the effects of marijuana wear off as the drug leaves the system, but the effects linger for some. Treatment for marijuana addiction at the best drug detox abroad can help reduce these symptoms as you begin to reclaim your life.
Marijuana Addiction Treatment
At the top drug rehab center in Europe, the goal is to provide you with the most successful treatment plan for your rehabilitation. When you arrive, the counselors assess any previous treatment for marijuana addiction, and you’re checked for other co-occurring conditions. Co-occurring conditions can create obstacles to recovery, so they must be addressed. Conditions often paired with marijuana addiction include:
- Eating disorders
- Other substance addictions
A team of specialists analyzes your needs and prepares a customized marijuana treatment addiction plan that may include several forms of therapy. A psychiatrist, addiction therapist, medical doctor, family therapist, individual therapist and dietician all consult and contribute to your care. The staff develops a fully integrated plan that considers all aspects of your history and needs. Helping you develop the tools you need to continue your recovery is the primary objective.
Inpatient vs. Outpatient Treatment for Marijuana Addiction
Your team of specialists determines if you’d benefit more from inpatient vs. outpatient treatment. Reasons vary and include:
- Inpatient rehab. Inpatient rehabilitation is a treatment for marijuana addiction that’s paired with other addictions or mental illnesses. You typically won’t undergo inpatient detox from marijuana if that’s the only substance you abused.
- Outpatient rehab. This is the most common method for working with your addiction. It includes counseling, group therapy and introductions to other recovering addicts with similar addictions.
- Although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) hasn’t approved any medicines for marijuana addiction, studies have shown promise with the sleep aid Ambien, the anti-anxiety medication Bu-Spar and the anti-epileptic drug Neurontin. While these and other medications are being studied, the top drug rehab clinic stays informed about all medical options.
While involved in inpatient or outpatient rehab, your team decides if some of the helpful medications are appropriate for your care. Medication is not always indicated, however. A staff psychiatrist with the top rehab in Europe is available to explain your options.
Therapeutic Options for Therapy
Behavioral therapy for marijuana addiction treatment begins the process of remolding behaviors to decrease the likelihood of activities associated with taking marijuana. For example:
- Learning and understanding about the disease process and recovery steps fosters understanding of your condition.
- Behavioral therapy. Most habits are precipitated by certain triggering behaviors. Finding these behaviors and changing them helps your control during your marijuana addiction treatment. Appropriate coping mechanisms such as meditation, exercise and self-talk are beneficial.
- Cognitive therapy. The manner you view different environments, actions and even yourself dictates your behaviors. Reframing how you think about each of these gives you tools for control and addresses any other contributing problems.
The first step to recovery is understanding which behaviors and thought processes you habitually associate with marijuana use. Then you can learn to avoid them to diminish your desire for the drug. While you can learn in a group setting, behavioral and cognitive approaches usually target one-on-one sessions with your primary therapist.
Continuing Support for Ongoing Recovery
Community and support in the form of other recovering addicts provide a steadying influence during your recovery. These include:
- Support groups. Spending time with others who are experiencing the same issues as you — or are further on their journey — provides strength and comfort. Group therapy and 12-step meetings often provide essential support for those in treatment for marijuana addiction.
- Support forums. The internet has a tremendous number of online support forums and message boards, and they’re accessible 24 hours a day. Contact with others experiencing similar circumstances makes navigating your healing journey easier.
A multipronged approach to any treatment plan provides the best chance for recovery. Understanding the benefits of each approach and how they mesh together to support you makes the process more effective. A drug rehab with the highest success rate for marijuana addiction treatment, the Phoenix Rehabilitation Center works with individuals, bringing a tremendous amount of expertise and guidance to your successful long-term recovery.
We Can Help You
For any questions or feedback, please fill out the contact form below – we will be happy to hear from you.